As well as Newlands Bishop Farm, we provide community gardening services. The project is based on Saxon Way in Chelmsley Wood, Solihull and gives project workers with learning disabilities and mental health problems the opportunity to help people in the local community by carrying out a range of gardening and maintenance tasks.
Community gardening services in Solihull
Our community gardening service was established in 1988 by Solihull Social Services and the project workers were originally based at Bacons End Day Centre. With the encouragement of parents, carers, staff and the Council, the service was taken on by the Family Care Trust and the service has grown from strength-to-strength, expanding over the years.
In the winter, we tidy gardens and community areas for Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council, as well as for private customers. Then in the spring and the summer months there are many grass cutting contracts.
We also undertake mini landscaping projects such as patios, erecting fencing, and building raised beds and planters. On site at CGS, we have a farm shop selling fresh free range eggs, plants, hanging baskets and produce from the Newlands Bishop Farm. Every project worker attends educational courses with Birmingham Metropolitan College that are tailored towards their individual needs and upon completion receive accredited qualifications.
What our community gardening service offers:
- Community gardening social enterprise
- Day opportunities for people with learning disabilities
- Teaching skills necessary to gain employment
- Work placement opportunities
- Grass cutting and garden maintenance
- Mini landscaping projects
- College courses in ICT, numeracy and literacy
- Individual assessments to match ability to tasks
- Trained support staff and modern, safe equipment
- Part funded by Solihull Metropolitan Council
- Punctual, reliable service with trained, skilled staff
- Free quotations
- Allotments and horticulture area under development
For information please send an email or telephone Solihull Community Gardening: 0121 770 2005
Community Gardening Services Family Care Trust 3 Saxon Way, Chelmsley Wood, Solihull, B37 5AY