Part of our learning disability services, Newlands Bishop Farm in Catherine de Barnes, Solihull is a fun, positive, rural farming activity centre in beautiful surroundings. It provides unique work experiences in horticulture, woodwork, gardening, horse care, catering, retail and animal husbandry.
Newlands Bishop Farm: Offering work-based learning for adults with learning difficulties
Newlands Bishop Farm first joined the Family Care Trust in 2002, and since then it has developed significantly. There is now a modern barn where machinery is stored, as well as housing a woodworking unit.
In 2008, Newlands Bishop Farm was awarded a grant to build the stable block. It has since been awarded a Riding Establishment Permit that will allow the development of a riding school.
Since 2005, Newlands Bishop Farm has had a partnership with Birmingham Metropolitan College to provide opportunities for our project workers to gain qualifications in ICT, numeracy and literacy. In 2009, NBF were awarded an Excellence Star Award from the college for our outstanding service to training and development of the project workers.
Newlands Bishop Farm has many partnerships with local organisations who often attend to help with our farm work or take part in outdoor education activities.
Berry’s Café at Newlands Bishop Farm
Berry’s Café, located at the entrance of Newlands Bishop farm, opened in late 2011. The café includes a training kitchen and café to provide project workers with the opportunity to gain commercial catering and retail skills. Berry’s Café is also open to the public during the week from 10:30am to 2:30pm and weekends 10am to 3pm. The café also produces some fantastic fruit jams and preserves each year, which are sold on site. We also sell local honey produced by the farm’s bees.
Newlands Bishop Farm at-a-glance
- Work-based learning to teach skills necessary to gain employment
- Work placement opportunities for adults and young people with learning disabilities, brain injuries and mental health problems
- Day opportunities for people in and around the Solihull and Midlands area
- Well-qualified, caring and compassionate staff
- Working café open to the general public
- Woodworking unit, teaching carpentry and joinery skills
- Therapeutic horticultural unit/business
- Gardening social enterprise
- Equine and animal care
- College courses in ICT, numeracy and literacy
- Two rooms available for hire for private parties, meetings, conferences and gatherings
Help Newlands Bishop Farm grow and develop
In 2019, we’re aiming to raise £250,000 as part of our 25thanniversary celebrations to help us further expand our facilities on Newlands Bishop Farm. Find out how you can raise money for a local Solihull charity here.
For more. information please email or phone Newlands Bishop Farm on 0121 711 2939. You can also check out the Newlands Bishop Farm Blog site.
Newlands Bishop Farm, Berry Hall Lane, Catherine de Barnes, Solihull, B91 2RY